The Historical Novel Society’s 2013 North American Conference is offering two Cold Read Sessions as part of the program. During each session, two of our agent/editor guests will read through the first pages of as many manuscripts as possible, commenting on what they enjoy, where they stop, and so on. Audience members will also be able to read along and learn from the comments.
To give your manuscript a chance to be read, here’s what you do:
- Print up three (3) copies of the first two (2) pages only of your manuscript.
- Remove all traces of your name. Manuscripts are anonymous.
- Print legibly. This means no fancy fonts. Times New Roman or Courier will do. This means the print should be a good size. 12 pt. This means no fancy colors of either print or paper.
- Begin your first chapter one quarter to one third down the first page.
- Leave 1” margins.
- Number your pages.
- Include a title as a header on all pages in case pages get shuffled.
- Clip the pages of each copy together, then clip your complete entry, all three copies, together with another clip.
- Bring your entry with you to the conference.
- Hand it in at the beginning of one session or the other—we don’t want the same manuscript to be considered twice—and cross your fingers.
- Any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org